Friday, December 9, 2011

Divorce and Blended Families

This is the last post that is required for this class and it is a bitter sweet moment for me. This week we talked about divorce and blended families and the challenges that those pose to families. My teachers' wife came in and talked about the challenges that they both faced as they became a blended family. She was a mother of two children and my teacher really had to step up to the plate when they got married. It is a big responsibility and in order to have an effective marriage, certain things had to be done right. The biological parent has to be the one to give the harsh discipline for a while because if the new parent jumped in and started disciplining the children, then the children might resent that parent and it could also cause problems in the marriage. My teacher and his wife are such good examples of how to work out a marriage in a hard situation! As we talked about divorce, I was actually very surprised about some of the outcomes that researchers have found. It is said that years and years later, no matter why a couple was divorced, they feel guilty and continue to feel like they failed in their marriage even if they are happily married again. I really wasn't expecting that outcome because I just thought that if a spouse cheated on the other, then I would think that the other one wouldn't feel too guilty about the failed marriage. But it does make sense to me now and I think I would probably feel the same way. Thank goodness I have the gospel in my family! I am so happy I could marry such a wonderful man in the temple for time and all eternity! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment